How to come to Bourg-en-Bresse ?
Bourg-en-Bresse is really easy to reach by motorway :
- A39 from Jura mountains (30′), Strasbourg (4h), Belgium, Germany and Luxembourg.
- A40: between Mâcon (20′) and Chamonix–Mont Blanc, Annecy (1h30), the Alps, Italy, Geneva (1h15) and Switzerland
- A42: directed to Lyon (50′), Rhône valley, the South of France and Spain, the Massif Central, and the Atlantic ocean through A89 and Clermont-Ferrand
- A high-speed train (TGV) station is settled in the centre of Bourg-en-Bresse; it enables you to reach Paris in 1h50 and Geneva in 1h.
- Other lines are direct to Lyon (50′), Lons le Saunier, Mâcon and Annecy.
The little airport of Bourg-Jasseron welcomes leisure planes all year round.
Some shuttles drive you between Bourg-en-Bresse and the main international airports several times a day:
– Lyon Saint-Exupéry (1h) with on request shuttles
– Additional shuttles can be booked from and to Lyon, Genève and even Paris airports
This service is also offered by taxis and car with a driver.
How to move in Bourg-en-Bresse?
The town is not that big so you can drive easily, even if we suggest walking to discover the old parts of Bourg-en-Bresse.
The tourist office has maps to offer and sell; you can download one on this website. Car parks are noted with P. In the centre, 30′ to 2h are free either in closed parkings and in the street.
Special parkings for coaches are located at the Champ de Foire and at the station (short stay) and avenue Amédée Mercier for a longer time. Only a short stop is accepted in front of the royal monastery of Brou.
Campers have two special areas around Bourg-en-Bresse. Some campsites welcome them too around the city. A short stop can be accepted; please see the pictures on the map.
Hire a car, a bike, an electric bike, call a taxi or a car with a driver:
Please find all the professional offering those services.
Bourg-en-Bresse is a green town. Many parks and gardens, a special track for bikes and some pedestrian ways in the centre invite you to walk quietly. Some itineraries are suggested by the tourist office: you can get them at our desk or download them.
Special tracks are recommended for bikes in the city of Bourg-en-Bresse. Two special path are perfect to discover the region biking:
- La liaison verte, from Bourg-en-Bresse to Seillon forest through Bouvent leisure park and lake
- La Traverse, in Bresse, from Attignat to Jayat crossing Montrevel-en-Bresse
Bike rental : 19 points have been arranged in the city and nearby, to rent and leave bike Rubis’vélo. For a longer rental, La Station next to the train station offers traditional and electric bikes.
The Rubis network circulates in the municipalities of Bourg-en-bresse and surroundings from Monday to Sunday. It proposes:
- 7 bus lines in the municipalities of Bourg-en-bresse, péronnas, St-Denis-lès-Bourg and viriat, Monday to Saturday from 6 to 20
- A free electric shuttle that connects the amiot Square to the SNCF train station passing through the city centre, accessible from 10 am to 6 pm, Monday to Saturday
- 3 services on specific request, by reservation at the unique number 0033 (0)4 57 38 37 01
- A transport service on request on 74 cities and villages with the location of staging points and defined times. This service is on reservation with the possibility to book up to 2 hours before the departure time and up to 1 month before.
- The car-pooling service, available on the app rubis and the 74 cities and villages around Bourg-en-Bresse
- Agence Grand Bourg Mobilités, 2 rue du 19 mars 1962, F-01000 Bourg-en-Bresse
- 0033 (0)4 74 45 06
- App’ for all services
Other buses enable to reach the main cities and villages in Ain department: more information on the website of the institution.
Why not discover the region hiking, cycling, riding a moto or driving? We suggest you some tracks so that you don’t miss the best of Bourg-en-Bresse region!